Thursday, May 26, 2011

Head Start Update

I usually float around in between classes when I am at Head Start, and I helped out in the infant/ toddler classroom for the first time this week. It was pretty crazy but probably one of my favorites. I don't change diapers since I am just a volunteer, but I fed them (bottles, baby food, and solid food) and got spit up on big time for the first time in a while. It was nice. One baby is so fat that they can't button his onesey, they just have to tuck it into his pants haha. He is a doll! I shouldn't have favorites, but I totally do. Some sibling pairs are my favorites too. I now understand why having a good or bad older sibling influences the way teachers feel about you.

There is one little baby girll who is just so skinny and it really just breaks my heart. She isn't like dangerously skinny or anything, but she isn't chubby how most babies are. Maybe that is just how she is built, but I have decided that my babies better not be skinny because it would just make me so sad every day.

In the older class I was reading a story to Ali (she is the cutest, chubbiest little Mexican girl with wild curly hair). It was a nature book about turtles, and on one page it showed a baby sea turtle being eaten by a crab (do not ask me why this book was in the three year old classroom). She was all concerned and sad and finally leaned down until her nose was touching the page and she started to mutter angrily and growl at the crab that was killing the baby turtle. I assume they were angry Spanish words, but I will never know for sure. It was the funniest and cutest thing. 

Another little girl named Skylah was playing with plastic butterflies and I was sitting down next to her indian style. When she saw some other kids coming she set the butterflies down in the middle of my legs and sat on my lap so no one else could steal them or see them and so she wouldn't have to share. Skylah didn't want to play with them, but she didn't want anyone else to either. She sat there for a good five minutes, which is a long long time for them haha.

Ali and Skylah fight over sitting on my lap sometimes. Today Skylah was on my lap so Ali dangled a toy over across the room so Skylah would come get it, then Ali ran and sat on my lap. I made them share, but it was funny how smart and cunning they are when they want something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment