Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Treasure and Inheritance

Yesterday I helped my grandma clean out her garage. There was so much stuff, and there were a lot of treasures, but my favorite boxes by far were my Uncle Ben's. I had asked him to come over and help because I knew I wouldn't be able to lift most of the boxes (because I am a wuss), so he was there when we got to his boxes. He went through them on the spot and I was able to be a witness as he uncovered the relics of his pre-mission past. I felt like Sheldon Cooper at a certain garage sale. Let me explain something. I am so nerdy for a reason. It's because it is in my blood. Here are some examples from the unloading of Ben's boxes that will illustrate that point and also prove how epically nerdy he is.
  • One box contained a Klingon Bear. Yep, that's right. A teddy bear with a creepy plastic half mask and long hair that made it resemble a Klingon. The same box contained Romulan Ale. Upon this treasure's discovery my uncle exclaimed, "Aged Romulan Ale! I remember I had to get Richard (his oldest brother) to buy this for me because I was too young..." Ahh... The memories...
  • Did I mention that he kept both of those? They made it into the take home to Lindsey box, and I am sure she was thrilled.
  • One box was full of a Sega Dreamcast and games for it. I am not sure exactly what that is, but I know that if I don't know that makes it even more nerdy. Because I know many nerdy things.
  • Upon opening another box my uncle said "ugh, more freaking Pokemon stuff!" (Because we had just gone through a box and found a stuffed Pikachu and some other stuffed chu which had been thrown away.) But after saying that he picked up the stuffed animal in this box, saw which one it was, and said "oh... but I love Sigh Duck..." Sigh Duck was placed in the take home box. You know, for posterity and stuff. (Also I realize I am most likely spelling Sigh Duck's name wrong. But I'm not the one who loves him.)
  • There were a lot of comic books. A lot. Most were thrown away, because, as my Uncle Ben explained, "the ones in boxes I don't really care about, I put my good ones in here" (at that point he gestured to his airtight waterproof container full of comic books). Don't worry, he took those home too.
  • We found this binocular-looking thing and could not figure out what it was. We knew it had to open because it had hinges, and when we finally got it we saw it was a Star Wars toy. Then we were like, of course, this looks like the thing Luke uses to look for sand people in episode 4. Yes :)
  • The amount of Lord of the Rings paraphernalia we found in those five boxes was astonishing. There was a movie guide to the Fellowship of the Ring, a JRR Tolkien little kid biography, a glass mug, a trivia game, a one ring, and lots more I am sure I am forgetting. It was definitely the most represented. And here is where my inheritance comes in...

Muahaha... You see, I already have a One Ring. It was included in my Lord of the Rings Risk game (yes, I am that cool), so naturally it isn't super nice although still very cool. Well... My uncle gave me this very beautiful, precious ring of power. I have taken to wearing it because I love it so much. Not creepishly and gollum-like. I just think it is so cool. Here is my precious:


Also, don't be shocked. Harry Potter was represented. I just saved the best for last because I inherited all "H-P" stuff my uncle had. So I have a sweet, very nice metal bookmark with the Hogwart's crest on it, and a new pillowcase! It combines two of my favorite things, Harry Potter and glitter. Exhibit A:


The only thing that is less than perfect with this pillowcase is the Ravenclaw Crest. It is my favorite house and the one I would be sorted into, so I only wish it was better represented on the piece of material where my head will sleep. Exhibit B:


Despite that fact, I should definitely not complain. It was definitely a good haul and tons of laughs for cleaning out a garage. Not everyone is as lucky as I am; I have an awesome uncle with nerdy boxes who would definitely get along with Dwight Schrute.

3 comments:

  1. Ravenclaw is always misrepresented. Most underrated house by far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we still be friends if I go into a jealous rage and steal all of this stuff from your uncle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can borrow it. But get all the stealing jealous rage stuff out before we share a room this fall :)

    ReplyDelete